Friday, February 3, 2012

BS to MA...the crazy adventure begins!



It all started in high school when my Dad asked "E, what do you want to do when you grow up?" .  My immediate and fully serious response was, "Dad, I want to change the world"...

And so it begins..........

In 2009 I graduated from University with a degree in Civil Engineering.  I had thought that I wanted to become an engineer since high school.  My father is an engineer, my brother is an engineer...it seemed like the right path, especially since I'd always loved math and science.   I was so blessed to have two job offers upon graduating, especially since the economy was so down that hiring had dropped significantly for Civil Engineers in the Pacific Northwest.  I followed the job and moved to another state.  While the area was beautiful and I loved where I lived, I never felt fulfilled in my career.  I had so many responsibilities above and beyond my title, but the spark wasn't there...I didn't feel like I was making an impact on the world.  I quit my job and moved to Oregon when I got married so that my husband could focus on his career and its development.  I searched and searched and had numerous opportunities in Civil Engineering that came my way, but for some reason every door closed (relatively abruptly).

I decided to take a hiatus from job searching and soon after the youth pastor at my church asked for female volunteers to chaperone an upcoming mission trip.  I decided "Welp, I have nothing else to do...might as well!".... One thing lead to another and I am now a full time volunteer with the youth group and I LOVE IT!

I then found that the local satellite University campus in my city was starting a Masters of Arts in Teaching Secondary Math and Science program.  I KNEW right away that teaching middle/high schoolers was what I was meant to do.  I realized I've worked with high schoolers in some capacity for the past 5-6 years and it has always been the highlight of my day and the one career that sparked my heart.  I realized I want to mentor and inspire them.   I want to give them all that I have to offer so they have the most options and opportunities in life.  I want to be their friend and their mentor through teaching them math and science...AND I'M SO EXCITED!!

I've just started the application process for the MAT program and I know it's going to be a long road to haul.  I'm excited to share the process and my PRAYER TO HAVE GOD MAKE ME IMMOVABLE through the process.  I want to be immovable in my work as a wife, an eventual mother, as a leader, and as a teacher.



1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord, your labor is not in vain.


1 comment:

  1. Way to following the Lords leading and welcome to the blogging world! =)

    ReplyDelete