Wednesday, September 12, 2012

WHEW! It's been a while!

WHEW! It's been a while!  A lot has happened since I last posted, and I'm sad to be behind!

-I passed all of my entrance exams!  So I'm IN now that I've taken and passed the General Science, Civil Rights, ORELA Multiple Subjects and CBEST exams!

-I started and finished my first term as a Master's Student this summer!  It was honestly relatively easy, but the days were LONG!  I had difficulty concentrating, but it was so so so fun to be with my cohort! I absolutely love every single person in my program, and they all have so much to give.  They are by far the reason I'm so excited to start master's classes again in less than two weeks.

-I finally met my Fall term student teaching mentor teacher.  I was getting SO nervous that I wasn't going to get to meet him until the first day of school!  The Friday before student teaching started (so 3 days...) I got an email back from him giving me some info.  He teaches 7th/8th grade science, which seemed so broad to me at first.  After meeting him, going through staff in-service days, and being in the classroom, I don't know what it the world I was so worried about!  It's all very relaxed and at this age, it is more about teaching students life skills rather than content.  Being with students this age actually is way more awesome than I anticipated! EEK! I thought I was all dead-set on being a high school teacher...now...not so much!

-One day last week I got to meet my Physics students that I will teach this Spring at the local high school.  The majority of the students were very frightened and nervous; they were afraid to be wrong.  I'm excited to work with them and hopefully give them the confidence to TRY a problem, and even come up with MULTIPLE solutions.  I think that's one thing that engineering has helped me with...knowing that in some instances, there isn't just one right answer.  It's more about being innovative, problem solving, and working collaboratively.

-I think I now have a perma-smile on my face.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE teaching!  I understand that there are going to be problem kids, annoying bureaucracy, and that it's going to take a lot of time and energy...but I seriously cannot wait!  I already feel a connection to the students that I've spent only a few hours with.

-I need to thank my husband big time for getting a job where we currently live so I had the opportunity to leave my occupation as an engineer and follow this new path to become a teacher.  If it weren't for him, I'd never have had the guts to make the change.  Now I'm living it and I couldn't be happier!


1 comment: